Re: ASCII-folded search [was: Re: Upcoming loss of usability ...]

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: ASCII-folded search [was: Re: Upcoming loss of usability ...]
Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2015 19:25:45 +0300

> Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2015 08:34:46 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Drew Adams <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> > We have just installed that feature, and it's still being worked on
> > to eliminate some rough edges and unintended consequences.  Let it be
> > refined, then let it be used by users (including you, Drew) for some
> > time, and then let's collect user experience and complaints and see
> > if something needs to be fixed.  _Then_ we will have experience and
> > real data points to discuss constructively and efficiently.
>
> I'm guessing that the feature you are talking about is the char
> folding that Bruce/Artur installed, and *not* the suggestion by
> Kaushal to "take over the mode line" and use "a lot of space to
> verbosely display the searching options".

Yes.

> If so then we are in violent agreement and I think you did not
> understand me.  My comments were directed to the suggested
> mode-line feature, not to the char-folding feature.

Sorry for my misunderstanding.

For the record, I'd like us to keep our application-level hands off
the mode line.  It is already too cramped with useful stuff that
shouldn't be removed.  The fact that applications can redefine the
mode line by changing mode-line-format should not IMO be interpreted
as an invitation to put arbitrary stuff there.

> My message was to not go down the road of changing the mode
> line that way now without thinking about what might be
> appropriate when there are more folding possibilities.

Agreed.