Re: Upcoming loss of usability of Emacs source files and Emacs.

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Upcoming loss of usability of Emacs source files and Emacs.
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2015 23:36:34 +0300

On 06/28/2015 11:28 PM, Tassilo Horn wrote:

That wasn't really meant as a suggestion.  I just wanted to ask why not
use some extremely rare paired characters if unambiguity is the main
point and we have some convenient input method anyhow.  That simply
typing a key which has the exact letter on it is even better is obvious.

I would understand it if it was meant as a sarcastic remark.

We don't have a convenient input method for ⸢ and ⸥ and I'd prefer not to have a need for it anyway (nor for similar characters).

Ok, right.  Basically, what I meant to say is that @kbd{} in texinfo and
`...' in elisp docstrings is markup which says that's a
keybinding/symbol/code snippet.  I don't see why this would imply that
it needs to be displayed with quote characters, it just needs to be
displayed as something "non-prose-y."

Yes, we might want to at least provide an option to display them differently (that has been brought up before, by yours truly). Handling the quotes in font-lock should make implementing that easy enough.