Re: Clicks map to wrong line with line-spacing > nil.

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Clicks map to wrong line with line-spacing > nil.
Date: Sat, 01 Aug 2015 09:40:44 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> > Does the problem go away if you follow the above setting with "M-x
>> > redraw-display RET"?
>>
>> No. The problem is robust in the sense that it occurs as soon as the
>> setting is applied (including when set in .emacs) and doesn't seem to
>> go away.
>
> Then I'm afraid I cannot reproduce it.
>
> What I see is that once the expression is evaluated, the window is not
> redisplayed, although it should have, with the larger line spacing.
> Typing just "M-x" causes redisplay, and then mouse clicks work for me
> as expected.
>
> Can you show a reproducible recipe for the problem, starting with
> "emacs -Q", and including all the details, like what you have in the
> visible portion of the buffer, where you click, and where does the
> cursor move?

I can reproduce with emacs -Q and eb0f65b4.  Here's a recipe:

1. emacs -Q
2. C-h h to open the HELLO file
3. M-: (setq line-spacing 50)
   Here, that's immediately visible.
   (window-size nil t) => 96, (window-size) => 47 but actually
   with this spacing there are only 11 lines visible, i.e., I see
   the HELLO portion from line 1 to the second line of the South
   Asia entry.
4. When I click on some word in lines 1-3, point is set on that word.
   In later lines, point ends up on the previous line.  For ex., I
   click on the "examples" in "Non-ASCII examples:" and point is set
   to the beginning of the empty line before.  Clicking on "South" in
   "South Asia:" puts point on "Middle" in "Middle/Near East:".

Doing the same with line-spacing set to 10, the problem becomes worse.
Again, clicking on the first 3 lines works correctly, then on the next
2-3 lines jumps to the line before, then clicking on the next few lines
makes point jump to 2 lines before the click position, etc.  So it
becomes worse for the lines displayed later in a window.

Bye,
Tassilo