Re: Per-language project-search-path, was: Re: Unified project interface

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Per-language project-search-path, was: Re: Unified project interface
Date: Sat, 1 Aug 2015 17:12:57 +0300

On 08/01/2015 01:43 PM, Stephen Leake wrote:

My experience is always with a project file; the user explicitly selects
which project file is active. That can be multi-language or
single-language.

So I'm not familiar with the project system trying to guess a project on
the fly, as the current code does.

I'm not discussing a particular project backend here, just the API. And you can use the user-selected backend everywhere, if there's an appropriate element at the head of project-find-functions.

If I recall, you've mentioned a concept of project file listing different search-paths for different languages. Without project-search-path taking the language into account, you'll have to append all paths together.

And what about jdee? Would you treat lisp/.dir-locals.el as the project file for Elisp, and ask the user to select it?

As you point out, there are use cases for using the major mode to
influence the project, and others for not doing that.

I've only listed the implementation difficulties. If there are any particular problems with the concept of dispatching on the language, I'd like to hear about those.

I don't know which would be better as the default; the only general
solution is to require a project file.

How does that translate to API requirements?

Ede also uses the (require 'path/file) style; not surprising, since it
was written by the CEDET team.

It does. This doesn't seem relevant.

I don't see any implementations of ede-source-paths, and only one use of
it, so it's hard to say what the purpose of the mode parameter is.

That's true, unfortunately. The only implementations I could find are in malabar-mode (another third-party project attempting to provide a Java editing environment).

Eric, could you tell if we're missing anything? Are there other places where ede-source-paths is defined or used?

Any reason why symref isn't using it?