RE: Escaping quotes in docstrings, Was: A simple solution to "Upcoming l

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Escaping quotes in docstrings, Was: A simple solution to "Upcoming loss of usability ..."
Date: Sun, 2 Aug 2015 12:16:40 -0700 (PDT)

> 1. What was purpose of the change?
>    To replace `' with the other one (sorry, don't have it on my
>    keyboard)? What for?
>
> 2. *Was it worth it*?
>    Considering number of people involved and time spent by those
>    writing and reading emails (even I'm wasting my time now on
>    writing this email).
>
> Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that you shouldn't do what
> you are doing.

Provided it is optional for users to suffer from it.
Let them opt in, if they really want this behavior.

At a minimum, let them easily opt out, pretty-please.

I don't even see that possibility currently.  How to opt out
doesn't seem to be documented, at least, and lots of source
code seems to hard-code your changes.

We were told over and over that this would be just a healthy
"experiment" and that people shouldn't react prematurely.

Well, it's been several months now.  Are you prepared to
back this misguided feature out?

Or were those who decried such a gratuitous & invasive
development correct, in supposing that backing-out would
become next to impossible and this gross hack job would be
here to stay, whatever the post-mortem judgment might be?

> Everyone can do with their time what they want, but maybe it
> would be good to create a Backlog for Emacs and prioritize
> (at least a bit) to see what's really important and _is_
> worth the effort.

+1

So far, my impression is that there have been a shiPload of
deep changes that try to work around all kinds of problems
that have been introduced - and to work around the problems
that those workarounds have introduced...

I haven't seen such an invasive change in a long time (never?).
Makes Rube Goldberg machines look Occam-elegant.  And for
what?  Just to fit the esthetic, cosmetic concerns of two
or three developers?

Please tell users now _how to opt out completely_, at a
minimum.  If letting users restore the longstanding behavior
means getting rid of hard-coded hacks, so be it - please do it.