Re: xref window switching problems

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: xref window switching problems
Date: Wed, 05 Aug 2015 01:56:00 -0500

Ingo Lohmar <address@hidden> writes:

> The behavior is perfectly understandable looking at the code of
> xref--pop-to-location and xref--goto-location, but is this intended?

I can't speak to whether it's intended, but I agree it's not good.

> The old pre-xref elisp implementations and the tags functions got the
> "...-other-window" behavior right IMO: Leave my current window's buffer
> and point alone in any case, and pop to the target shown in another
> window.

+1

> The change would be easy (see xref--pop-to-location), first get the
> buffer, then do the window business, and only then xref--goto-location.
>
> Any objections/opinions?

Sounds good to me

> Maybe xref-pop-marker-stack could benefit from a discussion as
> well.

I haven't used that much, but so far it does what I want; change the
current window to display the previous location.

If I want to preserve the current location in a window, I would first
move to a different window; I haven't tested to see if that works in the
one buffer/two locations scenario.

--
-- Stephe