Re: progmodes/project.el and search paths

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: progmodes/project.el and search paths
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2015 09:44:40 +0300

On 08/05/2015 07:16 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

That is counter to my experience. The modern build tools work in a
variety of different ways.

You mean, some of them don't support specifying how to build
documentation?  Which ones?

I didn't mean building docs in particular, but yes, kinda. You can build docs with Rake (and in different formats, depending on which ones you want), but there's no standard task name for that.

I don't think it's correct to wait for specific requests for every
single sub-feature, when developing infrastructure like this one.
Some basic traits should be supported just because they are basic,
before someone asks.

I guess so. When we get around to the "building" aspect of projects, we'll try to make it reasonably complete.

Without any build-related commands in Emacs, though, we'll still fall short of providing the complete editing experience you seem to want. And those would be exactly the kind of consumers I'm looking in order to grow the project API.

E.g., company.el is "not very interesting" for me, but I still try
very hard to fix every issue in the display engine that you or your
users report.

You don't work on adding new features to it, however.

Yes, I do.  But that's besides the point, isn't it?

Adding new features to Company, I mean.