Re: Getting column position accounting for overlays

From: Yuri D'Elia
Subject: Re: Getting column position accounting for overlays
Date: Sat, 8 Aug 2015 18:29:18 +0200

On 08/08/15 17:43, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> To be more concrete, what about a (visual-column) function, that just
>> gives what's currently needed?
>
> I've already shown you a way to compute that, several message ago.
> Let me repeat:
>
>   (/ (car (window-text-pixel-size nil (line-beginning-position) (point)))
>      (default-font-width))

I didn't like this solution precisely because it doesn't rely on
character-cells units, and was explicitly looking for character
lengths/distances between arbitrary points.

If this calculation would be used in rigid-tabs for instance, I would
calculate different amount of spaces whether a variable-pitch font is
used or not, while my intention is much closer to (current-column).

But maybe I'm just arguing about nothing, and this is not really
something that can be generalized.

If you're using a variable pitch font, everything does down the drain
anyway.