Re: emacs menu font in GTK-2 and GTK-3

From: Yuri Khan
Subject: Re: emacs menu font in GTK-2 and GTK-3
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2015 12:35:34 +0600

On Tue, Aug 11, 2015 at 11:59 PM, Nelson H. F. Beebe
<address@hidden> wrote:
> I recently upgraded my desktop workstation, doubling my screen
> resolution to 3840x2160 pixels, and changing from Solaris SPARC to
> CentOS 7 x86-64.  The higher resolution has been welcome, but I'm
> still struggling with selecting larger font sizes in several
> applications, including emacs.

What does your X server think your DPI is, what physical size is your
new monitor actually, and at what distance from it do you view it?

I recently got a 3840×2160 24in at normal distance (≈70cm). By
default, X assumed 96 dpi and everything was so damn small. In order
to bring my environment to sane size, I had to:

* Fiddle with my Xorg.conf to inform X of the physical dimensions of my monitor.
* Set Xft.dpi to 192 in my ~/.Xresources.
* Work through my GTK+2 theme and double every pixel-based size and
adjust icon sizes as well.
* In my GTK+3 theme, resize all theme images and also double every
pixel-based size.

After that, most applications display at an acceptable size, though
icons in GTK+3 applications remain too small.

I am running Ubuntu without a DE, using i3 as the window manager. Most
applications I use are based on GTK+3 or GTK+2. I set up my GTK+3
theme via the ~/.config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini file, whose
gtk-theme-name key contains the name of the theme (Clearlooks-Phenix)
which is further looked up in /usr/share/themes. (Alternatively,
themes can be installed in ~/.themes, but then they are only available
to the user.)