Re: Require Emacs >=24.3 for next Org versions?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Require Emacs >=24.3 for next Org versions?
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2015 15:45:41 +0200

>   > Emacs 23 didn't come with package.el, which means you're targetting
>   > people who have manually added package.el to their system.
>
> Emacs packages such as Org mode existed and were distributed
> separately since long before ELPA.

But we are not talking about obliterating older downloadable copies of
Org mode from all servers.

I don't see a problem with the current Org update.  Of course, as the
package manager stops being a novelty, upstream package management will
become an issue.

Ideally, the package versions offered by a package manager will work
with the version of Emacs running the package manager.  Either we have
one repository per Emacs version, or smarter version management for one
repository serving more than one Emacsen.

--
David Kastrup