Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 9ce1d38: Use curved quotes in core elisp diagno

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 9ce1d38: Use curved quotes in core elisp diagnostics
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2015 15:21:13 -0700

Dmitry Gutov wrote:
if you're ... still
keeping curlies in Elisp source code, then, from where I'm standing, the new
format sequence is not exactly justified.

%q does help at the C level. I suppose we could remove %q's documentation, and not export it to Lisp. But perhaps it'd be better to leave things alone and see what people actually use. Developers who prefer ASCII-only formats and who don't mind their code not working in Emacs 24.5-and-earlier can do this:

  (format "Environment variable name %qs contains %qs" var "=")

Developers who prefer more-intuitive formats, or who want their code to work reasonably well in Emacs 24.5-and-earlier, can do this:

  (format "Environment variable name ā€˜%sā€™ contains ā€˜=ā€™" var)

Both approaches work on Emacs master now. As the main objection to curved quotes appears to be the hassle of typing them in some environments, if a developer doesn't mind that hassle then it should be OK to use them.

we would have something like:

   (message "Press %<?%> or %<h%> for help, %<q%> to quit")

That looks quite nice to me.

Do you like trigraphs too?!? (Sorry, couldn't resist. :-) Whatever niceness it has is clearly trumped by the niceness of using quotation marks to represent quotation marks, and by the better compatibility of quotation marks when running in older Emacs versions.

when discussing a Lisp solution, you voted in favor of simple
translation logic, one that didn't even check for pairings.
substitute-command-keys could do the same.

I suppose it could, yes.  I'll look into that.