Re: Supporting multiline Package-Requires header

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Supporting multiline Package-Requires header
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 2015 18:16:39 -0400

> The easy solution is to recognize that you already got a complete
> package archive from the Org guys which is ready to be deployed.

Yes, that is also a problem.  But I'd rather we try and solve one
problem at a time.

> No, it's actually your expectation to have version numbers in the
> comments of a non-generated, version-controlled file that's a latent
> problem.  Keeping that up-to-date would require a stream of otherwise
> useless commits in the VCS and result in merge conflicts while keeping
> the maint and master branch in sync.

Why?  We're talking about the org.el that's in the tarball you send us.
It doesn't have to be identical to the org.el in your VCS.

This said, it could also be identical to the one in your VCS without
needing an extra commit: just make sure the version is changed as part
of the last commit (since it's the last commit before a new release,
it's not completely extravagant to expect that you'd often/usually know
this commit will be used for a release and hence needs a change in the
org.el's Version: header).

        Stefan