Re: text-quoting-style

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: text-quoting-style
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2015 00:54:40 -0700

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
That should suffice for Alan's preferences, as
>he can run Emacs in an environment where curved quotes aren't displayable,
e.g.,
>with LC_ALL=C in the environment.
Telling people who don't see the Unicode quotes to run under LC_ALL=C
is not a good idea, for at least two reasons:

   . on platforms that honor LC_ALL in the environment, it will disable
     many useful Emacs features unrelated to the issue at hand

Can you give an example of such a feature?  I'm not seeing the problem.

In environments that can't handle Unicode, perhaps Emacs disables some other features regardless of text quoting style. If so, it should be OK to disable curved quote display too.

   . on platforms that don't honor LC_ALL in the environment (Windows),
     it won't have any effect

My suggestion was meant for Alan's environment; he is running in a GNU/Linux platform where LC_ALL does have the desired effect. The suggestion wasn't meant for Windows users, where I assume the problem is solved in a different way and no suggestion is needed.