Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 9ce1d38: Use curved quotes in core elisp diagno

From: Marcin Borkowski
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 9ce1d38: Use curved quotes in core elisp diagnostics
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2015 11:36:54 +0200

On 2015-08-28, at 11:08, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:

>> From: Marcin Borkowski <address@hidden>
>> Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2015 10:47:39 +0200
>>
>> OTOH, one might assume that [languages] are properly marked up,
>> e.g. in LaTeX.
>
> They aren't, not in Emacs, at least not in the basic Text mode.

Of course.  OTOH, e.g. in LaTeX mode, we may have additional info, like
\usepackage[encoding]{inputenc}, which can be used by Emacs (AUCTeX, to
be more precise) to infer the encoding.  I imagine you could do
a similar thing with the language(s).  The problem of Text mode is
obviously still open.

> If we want them marked with some property, we need to introduce such a
> property and then add some code to do that automatically.  That code
> is AFAICT not trivial at all, except in simple cases where the script
> of the character unambiguously identifies the language (possible only
> with scripts that support a single language).

Yes, highly nontrivial.

Stanisław Barańczak, a Polish poet who died last year, amused himself by
many plays on words etc.  Among others, he wrote texts which were
_syntactically_ correct in two languages at the same time.  (AFAIR, he
did it for Polish/German and Polish/English combinations, so he got
bonus points for thus combining a Slavic language with a Germanic one.)

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski
Adam Mickiewicz University