Re: [Emacs-diffs] master b533552 2/5: Documentation fixes re quotes

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master b533552 2/5: Documentation fixes re quotes
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2015 15:47:34 -0700

Dmitry Gutov wrote:
On 09/04/2015 12:50 AM, Paul Eggert wrote:

If the programmer types ‘foo‘, they can easily miss the non-matching
quotes

First, the two scenarios are the same in the typical text-quoting-style
case, because the output looks like ‘foo‘ either way,

Not if the translation logic checks for pairing.

Ah, sorry, I thought the context was the current Emacs master, not Emacs after some further changes are applied to it. In the current master most of the problems you mentioned are not a big deal in practice, as typically there's immediate visual feedback when one types the wrong quote. It is true that in some more-complicated cases this breaks down, but this is a nearly inevitable consequence of any markup syntax that uses quotes to represent so many different concepts, regardless of whether the syntax uses ASCII or curved quotes.

You are correct in that if we came up with a different markup syntax that was more systematic and organized, many of these more-complicated cases would work better.