Re: yes-or-no-p prompt conditionally broken in master?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: yes-or-no-p prompt conditionally broken in master?
Date: Fri, 04 Sep 2015 20:39:22 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: David Kastrup <address@hidden>
>> Cc: Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden>, address@hidden,
>> address@hidden, address@hidden,
>> address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden,
>> address@hidden
>> Date: Fri, 04 Sep 2015 20:14:51 +0200
>>
>> Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>> > The intent is to provide a predicate defcustom that allows to cause
>> > yes-or-no-p behave like y-or-n-p.  y-or-n-p will always behave as it
>> > does, and I didn't intend to change that, as I don't see the use case
>> > for that.
>>
>> Reliable translation into selection boxes when feeding emacs -batch from
>> a script?
>
> y-or-n-p already does TRT in that case (no dialog boxes in -batch).

Feeding emacs -batch _from_ a script.  Meaning the script supplies "yes"
and "no".

>> Predictable behavior when navigating Emacs by voice?
>
> I don't see the relevance, please elaborate.

Same as above.  External input translated into a source for consumption
by Emacs.

>> Some people may prefer saying "yes" to saying "why".
>
> Likewise.

"why" is phonetically the same as "y".  Which means that it's likely
harder to generate just "y" from voice than "yes".

--
David Kastrup