Re: Need help debugging Emacs: emacsclient will not draw its contents so

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Need help debugging Emacs: emacsclient will not draw its contents sometimes
Date: Tue, 08 Sep 2015 15:28:42 +0200

Jon Dufresne <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Jon,

> _Sometimes the emacsclient frame will not draw its contents_, leaving
> Emacs in a useless state.  This only occurs after the Emacs daemon has
> been running for hours and has already successfully started many
> emacsclients. When this occurs, my window manager shows that the
> program is running and has drawn an outline of where Emacs should be,
> but there are no contents.

Oh, last week I had that situation, too.  I executed "emacsclient -c
file" on the command line and apparently nothing happened.  I'm not
exactly sure anymore but I think there were not even window decorations.
However, when I entered the Gnome 3 overview where you get a quick
preview of all your X windows, one empty emacs frame was shown.

> After the first occurrence, all new emacsclients will suffer the same
> fate and will not draw their contents.  To Emacs return to a useful
> state, I restart the Emacs daemon.  This means I lose the open buffers
> of my currently running Emacs.

That's different to my case.  I think I could quit the problematic
window from the Gnome 3 overview which also made emacsclient return, and
then the same invocation again resulted in a correctly drawn window.

But that occurred only exactly once so far and I have no receipe, too.
In contrast to Jon, I don't run emacs as a daemon but I have

  (unless (server-running-p)
    (server-start))

in my ~/.emacs.

Bye,