Re: Stupid git!

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Stupid git!
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2015 09:49:43 +0300

> Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2015 21:51:14 +0000
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>, address@hidden, address@hidden
> From: Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden>
>
> > What does 'git status' say?
>
> On branch master
> Your branch and 'origin/master' have diverged,
> and have 1 and 1 different commit each, respectively.
>   (use "git pull" to merge the remote branch into yours)
> All conflicts fixed but you are still merging.
>   (use "git commit" to conclude merge)
>
> Changes to be committed:
>
>         modified:   test/automated/file-notify-tests.el
>
> Changes not staged for commit:
>   (use "git add <file>..." to update what will be committed)
>   (use "git checkout -- <file>..." to discard changes in working
> directory)
>
>         modified:   .gitignore
>         modified:   lisp/textmodes/paragraphs.el
>         modified:   src/search.c
>

> > > I think the best thing for me to do now is `git checkout <file>' to
> > > revert that changed file,
>
> > If you're in the middle of a merge, it's a recipe for disaster.
>
> :-).  OK, but the immediate problem is that _I_ didn't modify
> file-notify-tests.el.  Somebody else did, and git put his changes into
> my working directory and `git add'ed it.

That's what happens when there are merge conflicts: Git suspends the
merge in its middle.

> I don't have the log entry for this change.  So am I supposed to
> just commit this, with my own log entry?

Commit everything in one go, with "git commit", and give it a single
log entry, something like "resolve merge conflicts".

> I don't really understand what "you are still merging" is supposed to
> mean.  How do I get out of the "merging" state cleanly, without
> commiting somebody else's changes?

You _must_ commit.  A successful merge in Git always ends in a commit,
and in this case you need to do it manually, because the automatic
merge failed due to diverging.