Re: [Emacs-diffs] master db828f6: Don't rely on defaults in decoding UTF

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master db828f6: Don't rely on defaults in decoding UTF-8 encoded Lisp files
Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2015 18:15:22 +0300

> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
> From: Paul Eggert <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2015 07:31:36 -0700
>
> Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > You are assuming that those "remaining developers" use Emacs only for
> > working on Emacs, is that right?
>
> No, I am assuming that the typical default nowadays, for text that is not
> otherwise labeled, is to use UTF-8.  This is a reasonable assumption.  It's
> not
> always correct, but exceptions can be handled.

So you are, in effect, saying that it is incorrect to derive the
default encodings from the locale's codeset?  I'm not sure about that,
but if so, the issue is much broader than just what was discussed
here, it touches a lot of other defaults as well, and a lot of code
that supports those defaults.

> I see that you have added more coding: cookies.  Oh well.  I do take your
> point
> that we need a better solution than what we have.

I don't enjoy adding those cookies, but I enjoy even less seeing those
"8" indications in the mode line when I know there's not a chance in
the world the file was encoded in ISO-8859-8.