Re: RCS, again: another removed functionality: undo last-checkin

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: RCS, again: another removed functionality: undo last-checkin
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2015 05:47:54 +0300

On 09/30/2015 05:13 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

Well, with RCS as the back-end, "register" actually commits.

That's... odd. How does it do that before the user entered the commit message?

I see
that the other back-ends only use the "add" sub-command, but maybe we
should change that, so registering ends up with the files committed.

Maybe we should just call that action "committing", and assume that registering, if needed, is a part of it. Doing it another way would sound pretty weird to me.

I don't think there are such back-ends.  The only issue with such a
change that I see is that people might want adding files
incrementally, then committing them all at once.  If this is something
users might do a lot, perhaps we should have a defcustom for such
behavior.

Git users are accustomed to 'git add' moving changes to the staging area, which is pretty neat, but one needs to 'git add' both unregistered files *and* files that simply have new changes. That's mismatch #1.

Mismatch #2 is that no other VCS (AFAIK) has a staging area. So it's much simpler to avoid that intermediate step, since it can't be implemented in a generic fashion.

I think it does: if you commit a change in an outdated file, your
commit will either be rejected or, worse, will wipe out later commits.

Maybe you have a point there. Keeping that piece of logic in vc-commit too doesn't sound too awful.

A maintainer can "just do it", of course, but he/she cannot prevent
others from reacting to a commit after the fact.  So I don't see any
way of avoiding discussions in general.

I mean "just do XXX" as a response to that kind of discussion. Either we have a new workflow to do the same thing, or we say that, alas, the users need to use the console for that operation now. And life goes on.

If my recollections are wrong, I apologize.  I did re-read them when
Uwe complained about the change in vc-checkin's behavior.

Even if Eric had some emotional reasons for that change (I don't recall), we did bring up more practical benefits for it in Uwe's thread.

I agree, but the features in question do make sense, I think, because
the back-ends they were written for still exist and are supported and
used.

That would imply that e.g. every Git or Hg feature makes sense in VC. But we only support those we can abstract over in a reasonable fashion.