Re: RCS, again: another removed functionality: undo last-checkin

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: RCS, again: another removed functionality: undo last-checkin
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2015 21:01:04 +0000

Hello Eli and Dmitry.

On Thu, Oct 01, 2015 at 11:38:08PM +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden,
> >  address@hidden
> > From: Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden>
> > Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2015 23:22:40 +0300

> > On 10/01/2015 11:12 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> > And Stefan also stated the preference for vc-next-action to go away.

> So let's ask others if they are willing to see vc-next-action go
> away.  Richard, Alan, what say you?

I'm not the best person to ask, since I don't use it.  I've always
disliked the dwimmy aspect of vc-next-action - I prefer each individual
action to have its own distinct keybinding.  The thing about VCSs is that
many actions done with them are irrevocable, or nearly so - there's no
undo for them.  Also I think C-x v v would be very easy to type by
mistake - an accidental auto-repeat when typing the v a bit slowly would
do it, so that's another argument against it for me (or at least it was
when I disabled vc a decade or so ago).  vc-next-action doesn't have a
yes-or-no-p in it, does it?

Also, I think using vc would be an extra learning burden on top of that
of learning the base VCS, not an alternative to it.  Certainly knowing vc
did not enable Richard to access a git repository some months ago.

But I do accept that vc is probably faster to use than command line
commands, particularly if you're using it a lot.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).