Re: New maintainer

From: John Wiegley
Subject: Re: New maintainer
Date: Mon, 05 Oct 2015 12:13:03 -0700

> I define freedom as "having control of one's own life". Freedom in one's
> computing means having control over how it is done, which requires control
> over the software that does it.

Even those of us who are fine using proprietary software have been bitten by
its lack of freedom. Why, I can't even run OS X on hardware of my own
choosing!

Let me be clear on the question of freedom: while I have disagreements with
you, I also don't consider any existing alternative to be ideal. I see pros
and cons in all of them. I choose BSD3 for my own software because it
represents the least commitment to any specific path.

So while I may disagree with the GPL as "The Way", I'm not opposed to helping
it succeed a little bit either. I think all these experiments need more time,
before we'll discover what truly helps our society progress in the ways we all
want it to.

> Your church analogy was a good one, but let's make sure no one
> misunderstands it as more than an analogy. The Church of Emacs is pure
> humor.

The church analogy, qua analogy, was pretty excellent. Point taken!

John