Re: New maintainer

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: New maintainer
Date: Sun, 04 Oct 2015 10:13:46 -0400

  > So I will withdraw my withdrawal, and say that if the opinions of the FSF,
and
  > the maintenance of Emacs by someone like myself, can co-exist without
  > involving ethical compromise by either one of us, I'm happy for us to work
  > together.

I hope that we can do do that, because you would bring great ability
to the job.

We have a deep disagreement, and neither of us is likely to change
position on the issue.  However, that disagreement does not
necessarily mean you can't be a maintainer, because all the GNU
Project really needs from a maintainer is to engage to carry out the
maintainer's responsibility.  So it is comes down to your decision
about that.

In practice, the parts of the responsibility that you'd need to
reconcile with your views are (1) accepting changes that work only on
GNU or GNU-like systems without reluctance, so as not to hold back the
advance of Emacs on those systems with contributions from people who
may not use or care about Windows or MacOS, and (2) and cooperating
with the things we do to present the GNU Project's positions in the
Emacs distribution itself (for instance, some material in etc and
doc).

I think it would be best to have two maintainers or three maintainers.
Stefan and Yidong worked well together as a team.  The fact that they
were two rather than three didn't hinder them from deciding.

--
Dr Richard Stallman