Re: New maintainer

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: New maintainer
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2015 00:20:22 +0300

On 10/05/2015 10:02 PM, John Wiegley wrote:

This is a great question, and one I've been pondering myself, since the most
pressing variable for me in all of this is time.

I fear that might be a problem.

Where I think I can contribute best is the bigger picture, or "meta issues":
weighing in on technical discussions, making higher-level decisions about
technical direction, keeping an eye on user experience within the community

In the end, you might encounter a lack of clearly defined points when someone asks you to make a decision.

More often, the regular contributors already have an idea what they want to do in the limited time they can spend working on Emacs, and often it's not easy to make such a person change their mind.

Not every change is announced or discussed either, so I think a maintainer should be subscribed to emacs-diffs.

Likewise, even if you make a decision that a certain aspect of Emacs needs work, there's no guarantee that someone else will readily begin working on it.

and the quality of Emacs resources, coordinating volunteers, ensuring proper
legal forms are maintained, liaising with the FSF, and assisting other
maintainers so they don't burnout and receive the help they need.

We really don't have enough volunteers. So an ideal maintainer, IMHO, would find ways to energize more people to volunteer, maybe by making the contribution process easier somehow (one could mention a better bug tracker, code review process, CI, documentation, etc; in short, a lot of things could be better, and all of them require work, in the end, rather than simply discussions and decisions), making the development process more transparent to the community, or, you know, handling a lot of the grunt work themselves. Maybe all of the options together.

Another area we're falling behind in is the type of IDE features that are
taken for granted in special-purpose editing environments, such as effortless
code browsing, refactoring, and more interactive debugging. The things you can
do when editing Java and Javascript are downright impressive, and I see no
reason Emacs can't compete better here.

That area is closer to my interests, and I'd happily see one more person (or several) participate in these discussions, but preferably in lower-level terms (like the details of the xref interface, or the project API). So far, they've ended more in disagreement than anything else, and it's pretty discouraging.