Re: New maintainer

From: David Reitter
Subject: Re: New maintainer
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2015 13:30:56 -0400

On Oct 5, 2015, at 6:21 PM, John Wiegley <address@hidden> wrote:

>> Do you consider downstream projects a legitimate way of providing that
>> experience on the basis of GPL principles without diluting the overall
>> mission of the FSF and the GNU project?
>
> Can you give an example?  I don't fully understand your question.

I’m sorry, I thought that was obvious.

Since 2005, the Aquamacs project has been publishing its own Emacs distribution
for the Mac, based on a recent stable or development-stage version of Emacs 22,
23, 24, and soon 25.    The version we distribute is patched at Lisp and C
levels, and it comes packaged with a great deal of useful packages, including
ESS and AUCTeX.  Last time I checked, we had about 12-14,000 regular users (not
just installs).

It’s a downstream project implementing features that do not conform to all of
GNU’s and the FSF’s policies, and addressing a non-free (but quite open)
platform.  I think it still promotes freedom among those who choose this
platform.