Re: IDE

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: IDE
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2015 19:52:21 +0200

>> Yes. ECB uses lots of advices to achieve what it does. I think somebody
>> (Martin?) worked on a 'window group' feature which would make this
>> easier.
>
> That's what I thought.
>
> So I guess we should ask Martin to please make that happen, as part of
> work on Emacs IDE.

Several years ago I've been discussing this issue with Klaus Berndl.
The basic problem at that time was to get rid of the advices.  In the
sequel I installed the side windows code in window.el and later adapted
it to the then new buffer display functions.  There are two functions
‘display-buffer-in-side-window’, ‘display-buffer-in-major-side-window’
and a number of window parameters (‘window-side’, ‘window-slot’,
‘delete-window’ and ‘other-window’) which should suffice to emulate
practically everything I found in ECB.

I never use side windows so I can't tell whether they still work.  I
have written a frame-tabs.el package based on side windows but I don't
use that either.  At the time I installed the side windows functions I
also added a texinfo section but Stefan later asked me to remove it.
That info does not reflect later changes to the code so it might be
outdated.  You have to live with the doc-strings which should be fairly
accurate.

martin