Re: IDE

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: IDE
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2015 13:10:10 +0300

On 10/10/2015 05:25 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

It's standard software engineering practice, why should you ask for
its justification?

I'm asking for details. Again, to further the discussion.

"Let's unify features X, Y and Z" is not necessarily the standard practice. It all depends on the exact features and how they are used.

I've also given a few general reasons why a "big design" might be suboptimal: more engineering effort needed, the result is likely to turn out to be less flexible, and a significant number of users might prefer to use only some of the parts.

For instance, because we don't provide support for some feature in their environment (e.g. refactoring for Ruby), or because they already have a satisfactory solution for the feature in question. And as you know, some users dislike changing their habits.

They look nicer.  I don't know how to explain better.

I would expect something akin to a normal bug report (enumerating things we're missing). But never mind.

The other IDEs use something similar to a tooltip, or a drop-down menu
with different fonts and colors.

You can already customize colors and fonts user for the Company popup. But if you end up using fonts with different dimensions, of course, that would result in jagged display.

I'd be happy to use a "native" tooltip in Emacs, but didn't have time to fully investigate it yet. However, there's a third-party package called pos-tip which tries to provide a "show tooltip" interface based on x-show-tip. From trying it out, I have the following complaints about x-show-tip capabilities:

- It's background rendering is inconsistent. As an example, the first time I evaluate (tooltip-show "abc") in an Emacs session, the background is yellow-ish. The next time, and after that, the background is black. - Is there a way to show several tooltips at once? To display different elements of the completion UI side by side. - If a tooltip is displayed, and I Alt-Tab to another program's window, the tooltip remains on top. This is by far the most annoying one.