Re: IDE

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: IDE
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2015 16:49:48 -0400

  > Yes. ECB uses lots of advices to achieve what it does. I think somebody
  > (Martin?) worked on a 'window group' feature which would make this
  > easier.

I used to have a rule of not installing anything in Emacs that put
advice on some other part of Emacs.  When module A wants module B to
do something special, rather than having A advise B, it's better for
mainenance to make B run a hook and have A set up that hook.

The hook is cleaner because, when you look at the code of B, you see
it runs the hook, and you you know to check what's in the hook.  If
advice is used, there is nothing in B to warn you that the function
does something you can't see.

Thus, whenever I installed a package which used advice, I added hooks
and changed it to use them instead.

Advice is for users to use, not for Emacs to use.

--
Dr Richard Stallman