Re: IDE

From: John Wiegley
Subject: Re: IDE
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2015 13:06:22 -0700

>>>>> Eric Ludlam <address@hidden> writes:

>> From what I know about CEDET to date, it is much more complex than this
>> objective.

> That is because the task is complex.

The task is, but the solution needn't be, if structured well.

I'm not willing right now to say "CEDET is the answer", mostly because I've
had bad experiences trying to use it over the years. I want to return to
basics, define what is wanted, and then ask what layers are needed to get
there.

> The primary difference between your list and CEDET is that those other tools
> focus on picking up a current symbol, or perhaps a substring, and it is up
> to the next layer to figure out more about it. I agree that that could be
> simplified across the variosu tools, but AFAIK the 'thing-at-pt' stuff is
> that common interface. IDEs know more about the buffer than just some symbol
> and the major-mode of the current buffer.

thing-at-pt is likely a piece of the puzzle, but a small piece.

> If you want a stronger set of smart behaviours at point, you will need to
> raise your standard to include more derived data.

Correct.

I'll compile a more in-depth proposal for this idea, within the context of a
larger plan for IDE functionality -- if it falls to me to do so.

John