Re: Emacs rewrite in a maintainable language

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Emacs rewrite in a maintainable language
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2015 12:19:47 +0200

Przemysław Wojnowski <address@hidden> writes:

>> I don't think this is possible.  Some slowdown will be inevitable.
>
> IMHO the performance is overestimated.
>
> Look at Java based IDEs - Idea, Eclipse, Netbeans, etc.  All of them
> have been written in _slow_ Java (at least according to C standard)
> and run on _slow_ JVM.

Yes, they are all a bit logy in general but there's one thing which they
(and any other editors I know of, say Vim, JEdit, gedit) do orders of
magnitude faster than Emacs: syntax highlighting.  Of course, Emacs'
font-lock is better and much more flexible because it's implemented in
Lisp but it's painfully slow anyway.

Bye,
Tassilo