Re: IDE

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: IDE
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2015 17:49:02 +0300

On 10/12/2015 05:39 PM, Drew Adams wrote:

Whether separate frames are used or not is not so important.
It is important, though, to be _able_ to show the completions
without necessarily showing the help for the current one.
IOW, separate display can be useful, whether or not separate
frames are used for that.

If you're forced to use the same frame, you're forced to make the documentation pane and the completions menu the same height (or width), or just have an empty rectangle somewhere. That's not ideal.

Having separate display would also need work in that case.

What is better, and why?  Please don't gloss over this.

Not having to always look at the minibuffer when entering stuff.

Those are pros.  A con is that the minibuffer and `*Completions*'
are not necessarily displayed close to point.  That's a display
question that could be addressed in various ways.

Right.

Does it display the complete doc string?  If not, I'd say users
are missing out.  If yes, and this is done systematically, I'd
say that users are being force-fed.  They should have a choice.

The user can disable the minor mode.