Re: IDE

From: Przemysław Wojnowski
Subject: Re: IDE
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2015 09:39:10 +0200

W dniu 15.10.2015 o 22:31, Dmitry Gutov pisze:
On 10/15/2015 04:18 PM, Eric Ludlam wrote:

Any particular project type may or may not care about the build system.
Some do because they are the build system.  Some do because they look in
the config files to try to extract some handy nuggets of information.
Some do because the build system leaves a file behind that can be
detected as the root of the project.

Then we might as well treat the build-file-as-project-root-marker and
build-file-as-source-of-build-tasks as two unrelated things, in the API. And in
certain cases both implementations can delegate to the same code.

For your example above someone who is familiar with those tools would
pick the best way to detect a project (maybe by build system like ant,
or by some other means) and also pick the best way to extract whatever
data is needed, such as a command to pass to 'compile', and hopefully a
classpath.  It might be 6 independent types that share a lot of code or
baseclasses, or maybe one hybrid. I don't think it really matters.

It matters if to *really* add support for a new build tool, the author has to
add X new project definitions.

IIUC someone developing an EDE support (a plugin?) for a build tool can provide as many as s/he wants, right? For example for a build tool a developer may provide only two definitions: clean and build.

I think that two more features would be helpful:
- composition of tasks (e.g. run "clean" before "build")
- allow user to add own tasks (could be customizations of default tasks, like "compile --with-debug-symbols").

Correct me if I'm wrong, but EDE (xref and project.el) are open for modifications, right? It not "take it as it is or leave it".

BTW Why EDE (and CEDET) are in two different repositories (and projects?).
One is in Emacs sources, another here http://sourceforge.net/projects/cedet/ ?