Re: Making --with-wide-int the default

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Making --with-wide-int the default
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2015 01:49:56 -0700

David Kastrup wrote:
Instead of going to 64-bit unilaterally it would seem to make more sense
to me to degrade gracefully into gmp.  GUILE does that, I think that
XEmacs or SXEmacs can do it, and it's usual for Lisp implementations.

In my spare time I've been working on something along those lines, but it's not at all ready for prime time. Some Emacs code assumes that integer overflow silently wraps around, and another common assumption is that integers are = if and only if they are eq. Bignums violate both assumptions.