Re: IDE

From: Eric Ludlam
Subject: Re: IDE
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2015 22:10:28 -0400

On 10/16/2015 03:39 AM, Przemysław Wojnowski wrote:
It matters if to *really* add support for a new build tool, the author has to
add X new project definitions.

IIUC someone developing an EDE support (a plugin?) for a build tool can provide as many as s/he wants, right? For example for a build tool a developer may provide only two definitions: clean and build.

EDE's framework starts with no assumptions about anything other than a basic "compile", and letting the project implementation populate it.

Some projects, such as the android and arduino ones, add new commands such as 'upload to device' which make no sense in other projects. Those projects end up self consistent as far as keybindings. Until there are lots of projects with different ideas, there isn't much in the way of guidelines.

I think that two more features would be helpful:
- composition of tasks (e.g. run "clean" before "build")
- allow user to add own tasks (could be customizations of default tasks, like "compile --with-debug-symbols").

Project implementations can have as many configurations or custom build commands as they like.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but EDE (xref and project.el) are open for modifications, right? It not "take it as it is or leave it".

Indeed.

BTW Why EDE (and CEDET) are in two different repositories (and projects?). One is in Emacs sources, another here http://sourceforge.net/projects/cedet/ ? .

I maintain CEDET, but I cannot get a permanent release from my company, so I have to keep getting it updated. By having a separate repository I can keep going without an active release without getting Emacs legally dirty.

Eric