Re: Emacs rewrite in a maintainable language

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Emacs rewrite in a maintainable language
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2015 07:27:38 +0200

> Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> skribis:
>
>> In any case, Emacs can never be satisfied with the current Guile
>> infrastructure for i18n.  There are too many shortcomings, some of
>> them were mentioned here.  Yes, Guile can be fixed to be better in
>> that area, but no one is working on that, AFAIK, and what's more
>> important, lead Guile developers don't even agree Guile should move in
>> that direction.  (This especially puzzles me: to have a good example
>> before you and not follow it?  Emacs learned what it has now the hard
>> way, have paid in blood, sweat and tears for that knowledge, and still
>> Guile developers think they "know better"?  Present parties excluded,
>> of course.)
>
> My point is: Emacs can keep doing its own thing in that area.
>
> (And I would guess that neither C++, nor Lua, nor anything else would
> provide an i18n infrastructure that would satisfy Emacs out-of-the-box.)

Either of those at least get out of Emacs' hair, as would have GUILE 1.
But GUILE 2 has a competing compulsory multibyte character concept.  "So
just switch everything to Latin-1 amounting to binary" you probably
say.  If it were that easy, there would be a GUILE 2 version of LilyPond
by now.

--
David Kastrup