Re: emacs IDE features

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: emacs IDE features
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2015 19:47:15 +0300

> From: John Wiegley <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2015 16:51:48 -0700
> Cc: Sacha Chua <address@hidden>
>
> >> - Each supported platform
>
> > This needs more detailed description. What is a "platform"? We have Posix
> > systems with and without GTK/Lucid/Motif, with and without Cairo. Are those
> > the same platform, or do we need experts for each toolkit? Are all Posix
> > systems the same "platforms", or do we need separate experts on GNU/Linux,
> > *BSD, Solaris, and Irix?
>
> I suppose these dividing lines need to be drawn "as needed" and based on
> available volunteers. If a group of platforms can be served by one person
> (say, the *BSD family), great; if it becomes too big a job, or we've divided
> it wrong, we make a change.

I agree.  The experience till now, if I try to summarize it, was that
we are much more likely to find experts in specific aspects (like X,
GTK, etc.) than experts in everything that happens on some OS.

> >> - Performance
>
> > I don't think this should be a separate team. Each core team should be
> > responsible for performance in their area, because solution of any
> > performance problems in each area is specific to that area.
>
> I agree, but I also don't agree.
>
> I'd like to nominate a "performance czar", whose job is to construct and
> maintain a performance benchmarking suite, run on all platforms as part of the
> build, and whose output would be tracked over time to detect degradations and
> inform us of the impact of changes.

I agree, but then we should probably strive to have a similar team for
the test suite, which already exists.