Re: IDE

From: Achim Gratz
Subject: Re: IDE
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2015 20:50:03 +0200

David Kastrup writes:
> Achim Gratz <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> David Engster writes:
>>> It doesn't help that Emacs is a very conservative piece of software. A
>>> good example was already given: C++ includes without an extension. By
>>> default, Emacs will open such files in fundamental mode.
>>
>> If I use /usr/bin/file on such an include, it happily tells me it's been
>> looking at "C++ source, ASCII text".  So instead of insisting on a known
>> extension to determine the major mode, Emacs could check what the file
>> mode is supposed to be in its absence before falling back to fundamental
>> mode.
>
> Emacs can do that.
>
> magic-mode-alist is a variable defined in ‘files.el’.
> Its value is nil
>
>   This variable may be risky if used as a file-local variable.
>
> Documentation:
> Alist of buffer beginnings vs. corresponding major mode functions.
> Each element looks like (REGEXP . FUNCTION) or (MATCH-FUNCTION . FUNCTION).
> After visiting a file, if REGEXP matches the text at the beginning of the
> buffer, or calling MATCH-FUNCTION returns non-nil, ‘normal-mode’ will
> call FUNCTION rather than allowing ‘auto-mode-alist’ to decide the buffer’s
> major mode.
>
> If FUNCTION is nil, then it is not called.  (That is a way of saying
> "allow ‘auto-mode-alist’ to decide for these files.")
>
> [back]

Well, that does the opposite of what I described: it doesn't check
auto-mode-alist at all when it matches.  I want auto-mode-alist to take
precedence and only if it doesn't know any better than
"fundamental-mode" should it consult some other mechanism.

Regards,
Achim.

Wavetables for the Waldorf Blofeld: