Re: master 6d6bf46 2/2: Make dired-do-compress work for *.tar.gz files

From: Oleh Krehel
Subject: Re: master 6d6bf46 2/2: Make dired-do-compress work for *.tar.gz files
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2015 10:59:38 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>>     (t ".tar.gz" "tar -c %i | gzip -c9 > %o")
>
> If you intend to use redirection at the shell command-line level, the
> file name that replaces %o will need on MS-Windows to be run through
> some function that converts forward slashes to backslashes.

Doesn't `file-name-nondirectory' already do that? I don't have
MS-Windows, so I can't check.

I just pushed an update that takes care of most of the comments in this
thread. Let me know if it's fine.

I also want to add a new command to dired that compresses all marked
files into a single named archive: the user gets prompted for a name
(through `completing-read'+`read-file-name-internal') and the shell
command is resolved from that name. I'd like for it to be bound by
default, like "Z". Maybe like this:

    (define-key map "c" 'dired-compress)

The proposed key isn't bound by default. Is that OK?