Re: master 6d6bf46 2/2: Make dired-do-compress work for *.tar.gz files

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: master 6d6bf46 2/2: Make dired-do-compress work for *.tar.gz files
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2015 17:57:23 +0300

> From: Oleh Krehel <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
> Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2015 10:59:38 +0200
>
> Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>
> >>     (t ".tar.gz" "tar -c %i | gzip -c9 > %o")
> >
> > If you intend to use redirection at the shell command-line level, the
> > file name that replaces %o will need on MS-Windows to be run through
> > some function that converts forward slashes to backslashes.
>
> Doesn't `file-name-nondirectory' already do that?

Is that what %o stands for?  If so, I apologize for not looking
deeper: relative file names without any leading directories of course
cannot have any such problems.  (Does that mean that this command will
only support producing the tarball in the same directory which Dired
displays?)

> I also want to add a new command to dired that compresses all marked
> files into a single named archive: the user gets prompted for a name
> (through `completing-read'+`read-file-name-internal') and the shell
> command is resolved from that name. I'd like for it to be bound by
> default, like "Z". Maybe like this:
>
>     (define-key map "c" 'dired-compress)
>
> The proposed key isn't bound by default. Is that OK?

Sounds OK to me, but maybe wait for a while for others to speak up.

Thanks.