Re: Emacs logo proposal

From: Xue Fuqiao
Subject: Re: Emacs logo proposal
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2015 08:33:00 +0800

Hi Nicolas,

On Thu, Oct 22, 2015 at 11:28 PM, Nicolas Petton <address@hidden> wrote:

> Thanks.  I alreadu started with GNU ELPA.  Once the basics of the design
> will be in place, I'll show it here on emacs-devel, and we then can work
> on it together.  Does that sound like a plan?

Yes, and I'm looking forward to it!  Here are my suggestions:

* Add a Building and Deploying section in admin/notes/www, containing
  workflow instructions for the websites of Emacs and GNU ELPA, so other
  people can contribute easily.[1][2]

* If needed, I can help set up a staging site (so the web repo can have
  a master branch and a release branch).

* In The Future(TM), maybe setting up some sort of automated testing
  for the websites can help validate the code works as expected.

I have some basic HTML/CSS/JavaScript skills.  Maybe I can help with the
code.

BTW, do you plan to use the GNU boilerplate[3] for the new websites
(Emacs and GNU ELPA)?  Many (if not most) GNU projects use it, but IIRC
there are also GNU projects not using it (e.g., Hurd, Guix, glibc,
GnuPG, GRUB, MediaGoblin, Octave, FreeIPMI, GNUstep, GNOME and GTK+).

Footnotes:

[1] I still don't know where the "real" GNU ELPA website is located.  I
made some changes in elpa.git/html/ in 2013, but those changes were/are
not deployed to elpa.gnu.org.  (I have a fencepost.gnu.org account, but I
haven't checked there yet.)

[2] It helps a lot for someone not familiar with CVS like me (the Emacs
website source code is in cvs.savannah.gnu.org:/web/emacs).

[3] https://www.gnu.org/server/standards/boilerplate.html