Re: IDE

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: IDE
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2015 20:12:59 +0300

On 10/24/2015 08:00 PM, Drew Adams wrote:

(But I agree: the hard part is the parsing.  The TAGS file
data structure is not the problem.)

It *is* a problem as well. You basically have to re-generate the file each time you reparse the project (--append has its drawbacks), and GNU Global optimizes that (someone familiar with SQL databases should easily imagine a way to do that).

Further, now we're forced to parse the TAGS file and perform filtering in Elisp, which can be performed faster in an external program. Global can help there as well (we don't really need FFI support, unless Global command line interface is found too limiting).