Re: IDE

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: IDE
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2015 22:41:51 +0200

> From: Óscar Fuentes <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2015 21:27:56 +0100
>
> Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>
> >> From: Andreas Schwab <address@hidden>
> >> Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2015 21:04:15 +0100
> >> Cc: Steinar Bang <address@hidden>, address@hidden
> >>
> >> TAGS files can handle multiple values for the same key just well.
> >
> > If they do, they will not be able to distinguish between the
> > definition and the references.  All the values are equal.
>
> I use etags-select for displaying multiple entries for the same key. The
> line corresponding to each value is shown, so you can locate what you
> want reasonably fast.

How fast it is depends on the number of references.  It is not
reasonable to ask the user to examine all the references one by one in
order to find the single definition.  "Go to definition" should be
instantaneous, if we want to satisfy users.

References is another matter: there users expect a list from which to
choose.

> An example:
>
> Finding tag: push-back
>
> In: /home/oscar/dev/idb/lp0/lib/prelude.lp0
> 1 [push-back] (defmacro push-back (v a b &rest)
> 2 [push-back] (defun push-back (v e)
>
> In: /home/oscar/dev/idb/lp0/lib/list.lp0
> 3 [push-back] (defun push-back (list e)
> 4 [push-back] (defun push-back (list)

Your example includes only definitions, and a small number at that.
It doesn't scale.