Re: IDE

From: Steinar Bang
Subject: Re: IDE
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2015 16:57:16 +0100

> I've been following this long thread with interest and there's one
> thing that keeps bothering me - should we duplicate the logic of build
> tool in Emacs IDE-like features?

If you mean: "should we re-implement things like maven in lisp?" then my
answer is: "no, not necessarily"

But it's useful to know how the interesting parts of the build config is
created and what it means (in this case how the classpath is set up when
multiple pom.xml files are involved).

> In my `javaimp' package (available in GNU Elpa) Emacs calls Maven to get
> classpath, then scans all jars in it (it takes them from local Maven
> cache and reads what classes are inside).

Sounds interesting, I will check it out.

> This is done only once given that pom.xml doesn't change (and if it
> changes this is repeated).

Have you given any thoughts to triggering this when the pom.xml is saved
and/or changed on disk?

> This requires some time to wait for Maven to finish and output the
> classpath.  But jar scanning is inevitable, I guess, and takes more time
> (both are cached then).

Do you cache this only in memory or on disk? (sounds like might be a
good idea to cache this information in an S-expression file, eg. pom.el,
toghether with each pom.xml and maintain the pom.el in a make-like
fashion...?)