Re: Exposing Isearch toggleable options

From: Oleh Krehel
Subject: Re: Exposing Isearch toggleable options
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2015 10:48:00 +0100

Random832 <address@hidden> writes:

>>> M-s  plus some other key. They're each listed in the prompt.
>>
>> But what key could be used to toggle the display of that additional line
>> containing a list of toggles?
>
> Well, how about M-s? A general way to supply a "prompt" string to be
> printed in the echo area after typing a prefix key (either immediately
> or when the echo-keystrokes delay triggers) might be nice.

I could very well be "M-s". And what you described above is exactly what
`defhydra` does: both bind the functions and wrap helpers around
them. It's like `define-key', but with the automatic doc popup right
after you press the prefix.

Currently, we have "M-s" do a dumb prompt for more keys, with the only
help available on "M-s C-h", which incidentally quits the minibuffer, so
you have to start over. The `defhydra` approach embeds "C-h" right into
"M-s", without quitting the minibuffer, and automatically closes the
hint once an option is chosen.