Re: Collation tests in fns-tests.el

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Collation tests in fns-tests.el
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2015 23:35:36 +0200

> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
> From: Ken Brown <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2015 17:10:48 -0400
>
> On 10/30/2015 4:28 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > You already said in that discussion what I'd suggest ;-)
> >
> > Since Cygwin tries to be compatible to GNU/Linux (i.e. glibc), it
> > should indeed use some non-zero flags in its implementation of string
> > collation-dependent comparison.  IMO, it makes no sense not to do
> > that, since users expect that to happen.
>
> Yes, I agree completely.  The issue is implementation.  Simply using the
> NORM_IGNORESYMBOLS flag yields comparison functions that can return 0 on
> unequal strings.  Eric pointed out the problem with that; moreover, it
> seriously violates users' expectations and compatibility with glibc.  I
> thought I had a way around that, but Corinna pointed out in
> https://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2015-10/msg00559.html why my suggestion
> doesn't work.  At this point I'm out of ideas.

I don't see why that conclusion is the only reasonable one (the
"seriously violates users' expectation" part surprises me), but I
don't really consider myself an expert on this, certainly not in
Cygwin.

If Cygwin's implementation of strcoll cannot be fixed, then we should
treat this test on Cygwin as expected failure.