Re: ELPA policy

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: ELPA policy
Date: Thu, 05 Nov 2015 08:13:57 +0100

John Wiegley <address@hidden> writes:

>> I think the rule for moving new stuff out of ELPA should be whether it's
>> used by the core. That's for libraries.
>
> An exception to this rule is when a certain service (say, streams)
> should always be available, without requiring further installation of
> libraries.

What does "service" and "should always be available" mean?  If it is not
end-user functionality useful for ad-hoc code entered with M-: or its
ilk (it would appear that streams is moving there), then I don't see a
necessity for including in the core: it makes more sense to put it as a
dependency in ELPA.  That way, other ELPA packages may easily require it
without depending on an upgrade of the core Emacs.

> Emacs acts as a sort of "standard library" for Emacs Lisp, so the same
> kinds of things we'd like to have in such a meta-library, should be in
> core.

Emacs cannot be upgraded using the package manager, so any dependencies
on Emacs core code are harder to cater for than a dependency on another
ELPA package.

--
David Kastrup