Re: Proposed new core library: alert.el

From: raman
Subject: Re: Proposed new core library: alert.el
Date: Thu, 05 Nov 2015 08:24:55 -0800

1+.  At this point the only hammer available to package authors is
message and it's turned into a rather blunt/heavy-weight hammer.

One thing I'd request we do as we bring in package alert or its
equivalent and encourage its use --- make it possible for async vs sync
notifications to be user controlled. Witness the havoc that resulted a
few months ago when package.el tried to update packages in the
background; emacs became extremely distracting / unusable  because of
the large number of messages that spewed out in the echo area.

There would be value in distinguishing informational vs alert messages
at the API level, and hopefully alert can help there.