Re: Framework extending window functions for Follow Mode (etc.).

From: John Wiegley
Subject: Re: Framework extending window functions for Follow Mode (etc.).
Date: Mon, 09 Nov 2015 14:30:09 -0800

> This suggestion doesn't seem to have sparked off too much debate. Can I take
> it that people are generally happy about it? In that case, I will commit the
> change.

Hi Alan,

First, I want to say that I'm very sorry this change has generated so much
effort for you. This is highly suboptimal, since you could have spent that
time doing other things for Emacs.

Second, I don't know that your change is ready for master today, but I *am*
ready to exempt it from the feature freeze. So please keep it on a branch for
now, and we will continue the discussion. If we can reach a satisfying
implementation, it will be in 25.1.

Would you be willing, one last time, to summarize the impact (from a
documentation perspective) of this change for Emacs users and for Emacs Lisp
developers? I think the *content* of the change is without reproach -- making
Follow Mode more valuable -- it is simply the form of the change that we need
more consensus on.

Adding your proposal to the Emacs Wiki Proposals page
(http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/Proposals) would be a good way to liberate the
current state of your work from this lengthy discussion, so I can look at it
again with fresh eyes.

With gratitude for your perseverance,
  John