Re: use-package.el -> Emacs core

From: Evgeny Panasyuk
Subject: Re: use-package.el -> Emacs core
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2015 21:15:51 +0300

10.11.2015 16:06, Oleh Krehel:

We should encourage the core Elisp to be simple to learn, because it
is actually very simple.  Not anymore so with macros like `cl-loop',
`pcase' and `use-package'.  They are powerful, but /they are their own
language/ completely separate from Elisp. They have their place, but
in my opinion Elisp newbies should not be encouraged to use them.

Sorry, but I cannot agree at all.  That's like saying C++ users should
not learn about the standard libraries since they should rather write
their own.

No, it's like saying that it's OK for users to write Boost template
constructs and do QT stuff without learning the basic C++ and STL.

It is OK to use Boost.Function or Boost.Spirit before learning every trick used inside. Yes, you have to read their documentation, but the same applies "normal/usual" libraries. Another example is Boost.Preprocessor - it provides high level interface and uses a lot of tricks to make it portable across very different (buggy) preprocessor implementations - but you can successfully use it without knowing every internal trick and detail.