Re: ELPA policy

From: John Wiegley
Subject: Re: ELPA policy
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2015 12:24:15 -0800

> the main question is whether something provides infrastructure for other
> packages to use.

Sounds like a good sentence for an ELPA policy. :)

> It is still not clear to me what exactly is gained by moving core packages
> to ELPA.

Agility. What is appropriate. Knowing when a thing goes into core, and when in
ELPA.

Org is an application, it's not infrastructure; the same with Gnus. *Parts* of
Gnus might rightly be considered infrastructure, but the whole of Gnus just
doesn't belong there. Parts of CEDET probably do belong in Emacs core, but as
an application, I don't think the whole of it does.

Since we don't have an agreed upon basis by which to draw such lines, we're
both talking about what we feel is right. Let's agree to revisit after having
the ELPA discussion.

John